Monday, August 24, 2009

I appreciate BBQ more now

In my nearly 21 years in Owensboro, I've driven past many of the Saturday pit BBQ fundraisers and have occasionally stopped to buy a chicken. What I had never done was actually work in any capacity at one of them. That changed this past Saturday when my son, Reid, and I helped the OCHS band boosters with a BBQ chicken and rib sale at St. Joe & Paul Church on 4th Street in Owensboro.

Reid is an 8th grader and has taken to music like a duck to water; he's playing baritone and we're proud of him for working hard at it and actually practicing at home without having to be told to do so. He told me that if he gets good enough, perhaps he can get a scholarship to college so now I'm equally excited to play whatever part I can do. Last month, he sold soft drinks and water for what I'm told is a never-ending fundraising cycle. Saturday, it was BBQ time.

Reid and I arrived at 6 a.m. and along with about ten others were put to work dragging 150 rib slabs and 300 chickens to the pit. While others hosed the embers to keep them at the right temperature, I helped others turn the ribs over and over. The chickens went on and I helped turn them in the racks. It's not as easy as it looks, especially when thick smoke laps at your face and eyes. Eventually, the ribs were done and removed, placed on a long piece of aluminum foil where Reid dabbed them with a BBQ mop and I wrapped them in the foil to be placed back on the pit for their final broiling. As the morning wore on, more help arrived. A slab of ribs and a few chickens were declared samplers and we tasted our morning work. It was some of the finest meat I've ever tasted.

With plenty of workers now in place, Reid and I left shortly after the sales began. We had both worked our first ever Owensboro pit BBQ fundraiser and we enjoyed it. That's Reid in the photo learning how to spread the dip on the chickens. All in all, we had a good time and helped raise $2,300 for the band. I certainly have a new appreciation for what goes into an Owensboro pit BBQ fundraiser. I'll probably stop at more of them and enjoy the cuisine even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment